Shogun 0.6.1 with octave support - thanks to swig!

From: Soeren Sonnenburg
Subject: Shogun 0.6.1 with octave support - thanks to swig!
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:14:01 +0000

Dear all,

thanks to Xavier Delacour octave recently is supported by swig.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank him and announce that I've
ported the shogun machine learning toolbox ( available from
http://www.shogun-toolbox.org/ ) for octave.

I guess it is enough advertising for swig, that I did the whole porting
from python+swig to octave+swig in about 10hrs (2hrs build system, 4hrs
for the typemaps and 2hrs converting examples and 2hrs isolating
problems a few remaining bugs in octave+swig).

So if you are interested Shogun 0.6.1 is out
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ai.machine-learning.shogun/295 .

It also contains all the necessary typemaps do the conversion for
everything, vectors and matrix in/out and cell arrays in/out (considered
as string lists) for *all* types from uint8 to double. Anyone interested
in this look at src/lib/octave_typemaps.i.

What does it give you well,

foo(double* x, int len)

is being converted to and directly callable from octave as

foo([1.0, 2.0, 3.0])

same for foo(double* matrix, int d1, int d2) return arguments and list
of strings in the form of cell arrays.

Soeren