Re: Graphical interface

From: DigitalPig
Subject: Re: Graphical interface
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:09:02 -0400

Stephan Paukner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 10:01 -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> > I am a very new Octave-user, (5 minutes). I am questioning if there is any
>> > graphical interface for KDE- Desktops?
>>
>> [...] Why do you need a graphical interface?  What do you get out of
>> it that you don't get from the command line interface?
>
> I wasn't asked, but what I personally like:
>
> * Getting something from the history without losing the current output
> in the window.
> * Having a short glance at current variables and their sizes
> without losing the current output in the window.
>
> It's annoying to be forced to execute a command just to get this
> information and flush your screen at the same time, so you have to
> scroll up the screen afterwards. I want to view that in parallel, not
> serial.
>
> Or is it possible to run a second instance of Octave in a different
> xterm but with access to the same session?
>
> Regards

Hi~ I was thinking about maybe we can modify the Octave mode in
Emacs. (That is what I am using now.) In Emacs, if you open gdb to debug
source, you can have both "watch" window, "stack" and "variables". I
think it's possible to incorporate these lisp codes to octave-inf.el to
have the same effects. What do you think?

--
DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com