Re: Cholmod.a error

From: dbateman
Subject: Re: Cholmod.a error
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:38:48 -0700 (PDT)

Yan Wu wrote:

> Hi.
>   I am compiling Octave 3.0 on Opteron. I have included Suitesparse in the
> compilation with the following flags:
>   --enable-shared CPPFLAGS='-I/scratch/octave/include
> -I/scratch/octave/include/suitesparse' LDFLAGS='-L/scratch/octave/lib'
> --with-blas='-L/scratch/octave/lib -lgoto -lpthread'
>   However, the following error was generated during make:
> /usr/bin/ld: /scratch/octave/lib/libcholmod.a(cholmod_common.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32S against `malloc' can not be used when making a
> shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> /scratch/octave/lib/libcholmod.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [liboctave.so] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/HOME01/WORK/work01/octave/octave-3.0.0/liboctave'
>   Does anyone know why?
>
> Thank you,
> Yan

Perhaps recompile with the -fPIC flag as suggested in the error message....
A static library compile without this can not be linked to a shared object.
Or you could go the whole hog and compile suitesparse as a set of shared
libraries.

What OS are you building on? There are a number of RPM and DEB releases of
suitesparse out there that you might use to get this working. Even if your
OS doesn't have suitesparse itself you could still take the source package
from another distribution and rebuild it as suitesparse's only dependency is
on LAPACK/BLAS that is available basically everywhere.

D.