Re: octave plot doesn't work on osx

From: Dushan Mitrovich
Subject: Re: octave plot doesn't work on osx
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:33:12 -0700

Adam Katz <address@hidden> wrote:
> I really liked that you packaged octave 3 into a dmg file, it believe
> in KISS.
> Unfortunately  I cannot plot.
> I read all the threads starting with:
> https://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2008-February/008010.html
> but I am not so technical and didn't come to a resolution.
> I think this is a critical function (plotting), most of the
> calculations I do end with a plot (or at least, plot on the way to
> get insight).
> I am running OSX 10.4.11, octave 3.0.0 and gnuplot 4.2.2 (the one
> that came with octave), and I also got aquaterm. All the software
> came from dmg files, I also have fink and might have ruined things
> with it as well.
> I feel like backing up all my personal stuff and making a fresh
> start... (maybe it is just despair talking)
> I can add that in gnuplot, I tried "plot sin(x)" and nothing happens.
> Please explain as detailed as possible since I don't have a lot of
> experience (yet)

This sounds almost identical to the problem I've had: no plots showed up
under either 'aqua' or 'X11', and no error messages.  This was even after
I'd defined the environment variables Henry Mollet describes.  Finally,
without knowing the cause, I did start getting messages.  Some time later
gnuplot started to work as it was supposed to under X11 (and maybe under
aqua, tho I haven't checked yet).

But when I tried to break it, to find out what the critical ingredient
was, it wouldn't break - it continues plotting.  So there's something
going on I not familiar with; information is stored in some place I have
not yet discovered.  If/when I found out what/where is happening, I'll
report back.

- Dushan Mitrovich