octave plot doesn't work on osx

From: Adam Katz
Subject: octave plot doesn't work on osx
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:30:37 +0200

Hey guys,
I really liked that you packaged octave 3 into a dmg file, it believe in KISS.
Unfortunately  I cannot plot.
I read all the threads starting with:
but I am not so technical and didn't come to a resolution.
I think this is a critical function (plotting), most of the calculations I do end with a plot (or at least, plot on the way to get insight).
I am running OSX 10.4.11, octave 3.0.0 and gnuplot 4.2.2 (the one that came with octave), and I also got aquaterm. All the software came from dmg files, I also have fink and might have ruined things with it as well.
I feel like backing up all my personal stuff and making a fresh start... (maybe it is just despair talking)
I can add that in gnuplot, I tried "plot sin(x)" and nothing happens.
Please explain as detailed as possible since I don't have a lot of experience (yet)
Thanks,
Adam