Re: 2 dimensional error and polyfitting

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: 2 dimensional error and polyfitting
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:20:32 -0700

On Monday, March 17, 2008, at 11:03AM, "Kyndig" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Could someone please advise me on how to accomplish what wpolyfit does but
>with an error input for the x values as well as y.  In other words,
>currently wpolyfit only accepts a "dy" argument.  I'd like to input a "dx"
>also.  Can this be done?  Thank you for your time.
>--

I don't know what your application is, but if the slope of the resulting
polynomial fit is not terribly sensitive to changed to dx and/or dy, you might
try an approach like the one below

function [p, s, mu] = wpolyfitdxdy (x, y, dx, dy, N)
  p = wpolyfit (x, y, dy, N);
  dydx = polyval (polyder (p, x));
  dy = dy + dydx.*dx;
  [p, s, mu] = wpolyfit (x, y, dy, N);