Re: Can't Install Or Load Packages

From: A. Kalten
Subject: Re: Can't Install Or Load Packages
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:35:18 -0500

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:29:57 +0100
David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

> What does
>
> default_save_options
>
> return? I suspect it returns "-ascii" which is the default option for
> matlab file formats. This was changed for compatibility with Matlab's
> -ascii option a while back, and a warning message about the future
> incompatibility has been issued for at least two years. Please change
> your default_save_option to '-text' instead for the Octave ascii format.

That was the problem.  After changing default_save_options to "-text"
the packages can now be installed and loaded normally with no errors
or warnings.

For some reason I had default_save_options("-ascii") in my .octaverc
configuration file and that was causing the issue.

Thanks for the attention.  Octave-3.0.0 now functions normally for
me regarding packages.

AK