Re: help generating Plots on Mac Pro OSX 10.4.11

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: help generating Plots on Mac Pro OSX 10.4.11
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:40:49 -0500

On Mar 3, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Stuart Borrett wrote:

I recently downloaded and installed both octave 3.0 and gnuplot 4.2 onto my Mac Pro running OSX 10.4.11. I can run Octave successfully from both the Terminal application and the xterm for X11. When I type plot(1:10) in the xterm, it generates the appropriate gnuplot. However, when I issue the same command from mac Terminal or from inside Emacs no figure appears. I do not get an error message; it seems to have worked just fine except that it does not draw the graph!

I would appreciate any help you might provide.

Stuart

PS. It works just fine on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.4.11 using the same disk images for Octave 3.0 and GNU Plot.

I had the same problem with OSX 10.4. I don't recall the details that led to a resolution, but I do have a few questions that will hopefully help.

(1) From where did you get Octave?
(2) Do you have Aquaterm installed?
(3) What do you get when the following is typed in a terminal window?

        echo $GNUTERM
        echo $GNUTERMAPP

(4) What do you get when you type "gnuplot<TAB><TAB>" ... does the terminal display "gnuplot gnuplotx"? (5) When you run gnuplot, does it immediately respond "Terminal type set to 'aqua'"?
(6) What happens when you type "plot sin(x)" from the gnuplot prompt?

Ben