Re: [OctDev] Fwd: Usage of SECS1D (dimensions of input variables)

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Fwd: Usage of SECS1D (dimensions of input variables)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:21:17 +0000

Hi,

  I want to use the SECS1D package (v0.0.4) provided with octave-3.0.0
  [under WinXP in the case that matters]. I have serious problems in
guessing which parameter dimensions and types the function DDGnlpoisson
  [1] takes. Currently I run in "nonconformant arguments"-errors when
  using standard row vectors as inputs [2]:

Is there a way (apart from trial and error) to find out what dimensions
  the parameters should be?

All vectors in the input should be given as COLUMN vectors

  Thanks in advance for hints,
  Johannes Dorfner

  [2]: octave script file to test DDGnlpoisson()
  % ------------------------------------------------------------------
  % geometry and boundary condition
  L = 200e-9; % length of the device

Physical quantities should be made non-dimensional before running DDGnlpoisson, see the example attached

  U_0 = 2; % potential of contact 2 relative to contact 1

  N_v = 1e21*1e8; % density of states [m^-3]

Values for such constants are contained in secs1d/Utilities/constants.m

  N = 100; % number of grid points

Vin=linspace(0,U_0,N); % initial guess for the electrostatic potential

You must consider built-in potential at the boundaries

  D=linspace(0,0,N); % doping profile; here: intrinsic case

This command will create an empty matrix! I think you meant
D = zeros(size(x))

  l2=0; % scaled electric permittivity (diffusion coefficient)

l2 is the scaled electric permittivity, setting it to 0 makes no sense physically and it will produce singular matrices

Please see the attached usage example.
You can find more at http://www1.mate.polimi.it/CN/MNME/ metodi_me.php3 (unfortunately the website is in italian)

c.