Re: Trouble installing Java and Jhandles

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Trouble installing Java and Jhandles
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 11:01:51 +0100

On 3/2/08, Khaled <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>
>   I liked the code and it was really helpful, although it did not work, but
> I learned many things.
> first of all, I compiled it on a Dell Inspiron 1300 and I succeeded to
> install it on Linux (OpenSuSE 10.3), but I had to do some tricks in the
> configure file and the make file, for instant:
>
> at 4231 for jhandles ver 0.3.2:
> HAVE_OCTAVE_JAVA=`echo "pkg('load','java');disp('yes');" | octave -qf`
> returns exactly yes, however the check at the next line (if test
> "$HAVE_OCTAVE_JAVA" = "yes"; then) fails!! probably that is because the
> variable  HAVE_OCTAVE_JAVA was not successfully updated.

Well, it should be updated. If the test fails, this maybe means that
the previous command returned "yes" plus some other non-printable
characters that you don't see, but makes the test fail. I used to have
such problem when running octave within a terminal that couldn't
handle all control sequences.

> Therefore, I
> changed it to some thing like hard coded yes!! and then it works and it got
> the Makefile changed as well. There I removed the "-l __java__"

You can safely do that. This is not used for the moment.

> Afterwards, it was installed in octave. However, I got this two notes:
> " Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
>  Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details."

You can safely ignore that. These are just warnings.

> More over, there is no (*) beside the  package name, for example:
>
> Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
>     general *|   1.0.5 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/general-1.0.5
>        java *|   1.2.3 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/java-1.2.3
>    jhandles  |   0.3.2 | /usr/local/share/octave/packages/jhandles-0.3.2
>
> this means, that I can not recall any of the jhandles function.

Yes. JHandles package is not autoloaded. Either use the -autoload
switch when installing it, or simply type 'pkg load jhandles'.

Michael.