Disk space eaten up

From: vej
Subject: Disk space eaten up
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 03:54:02 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is a bug since it only occurs when I kill the Octave process but I'd appreciate your help in this matter. If anyone tells me it's a bug then I apologise and I'll post in the bug section.

I have two simple scripts. One performs a simple monte carlo integration with N random numbers, and the other sends in values of N into the first and plots a graph (value on integral vs N) to show that precision is improved for larger N values.

I first set up my scripts to plot around 10000 different points which took such a long time I decided to kill the process and start again with fewer points. The second time I did it (with fewer points) it stalled halfway leaving me with no option but to kill Octave this time as well. It turned out that it stalled because of a lack of diskspace. Octave had been taking up disk space which it normally gave back to me when I quit, but since the Octave process was killed on both occasions it didn't. I now have 1.5Gb missing somewhere on my hard drive.

Shouldn't Octave delete any temp files when it is restarted?

I've looked for my 1.5Gb in /tmp, every directory and sub-directory with 'octave' in the name and in my home folder with no luck. I have also tried the usual reboot of my computer and restarting Octave.

Anyone know where the diskspace is being eaten up?

I really appreciate your time reading this.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

ps. Useful information:

Octave version 2.9.9 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu)
OS: Fedora 7

Here are my scripts:

vectorMC.m function MCint = vectorMC(N) x=rand(1,N+1); y=e.^x; yMC=(e^1)*rand(1,N+1); check=(yMC<=y); Ninside=sum(check); MCint=(e^1)*Ninside/N; end

p1mccon.m for i=100:10:5000; x=i; y=vectorMC(i); plot(x,y,'o') hold on end grid on plot([0 5000],[(e^1-1) (e^1-1)]) xlabel('The total number of random points') ylabel('Value of integral')