Re: Octave 3.0 successfully built

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0 successfully built
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:19:02 -0600

On 05/01/2008, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am amused by you logic :-) - specifically, by
>
> "I'll find out that there are dependencies for building qhull when I build it"
> .
>
> Of course you will.
>
> So, why not to be even more lazy and not to modify the above statement to
> become:
>
> "I'll find out that there are dependencies for building _octave_ when I build
> it"

You never heard of a base case in a recursion? ;-)

Frankly, I think jwe's suggestion is quite reasonable. We're not
talking here about how to build the entire operating system from
scratch starting from bootstrapping the compiler. We're talking about
Octave in this mailing list, and we care about building Octave. In
order to build the source that Octave ships, certain things have to
happen first, and that's all that Octave should care about. Octave's
job should be knowing what Octave's build dependencies are. Other
projects should know their own.

Yes it's messy, and I see how your tool for chasing down dependencies
could be useful, but we're aiming at something different here.

- Jordi G. H.