Re: path: octave 3.0.0 can't find itself

From: Dushan Mitrovich
Subject: Re: path: octave 3.0.0 can't find itself
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:07:39 -0700

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 27-Dec-2007, Ben Abbott wrote:

>| > BINGO!  Thanks, Ben, that was it.  Spotlight had screwed me up again
>| > by
>| > not showing what it considered hidden files.

>| > Once I found the file, I edited it (even tho it said 'do not edit') by
>| > changing '2.9.15' to '3.0.0' and then Octave came up without
>| > complaint.

>| > As soon as I'm comfortable with 3.0.0 I'll get rid of the older
>| > version.
>|
>| I've had the same problem when upgrading to a newer version ...
>| meaning that you would have encountered the same error even if you had
>| removed the 2.9.15 installation before installing 3.0.0.
>|
>| The solution that worked for me was to delete the .octaverc file
>| altogether. I doubt this is a desirable solution for all cases, but if
>| you don't have any information that is local to your setup, I'd
>| recommend deleting the .octaverc file.
>
> Why is there any version-specific path info in your ~/.octaverc file?
> Did you add it by hand?  If so, why?

That's puzzled me too.  I don't know the answer, but here's my best
guess: When muddling thru my initial setup of Octave on my still-un-
familiar OSX, I had done some un-necessary steps that tripped me up
on this occasion.  What that means is that I have still got unneeded
references (to 3.0.0) in .octaverc that do no harm now but are poised
to trip me on the next go-around.  I'll try deleting all these refe-
rences in the file and see what happens.  And I'll also try deleting
the file altogether, starting Octave, then re-specifying the location
of my personal Octave files.

- Dushan