Re: Reading NI TDMS files

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Reading NI TDMS files
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:36:48 -0500

On 19-Dec-2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

| What you propose is exactly the way proprietary ATI/NVidia drivers
| are distributed.

I think that is "allowed" in part because the people who hold the
copyright on the Linux kernel do not object to it, not because the GPL
itself is clear on the issue, or that the FSF agree with the position
taken by the copyright holders of the Linux kernel.

| Basically, you can do whatever you want with GPL code as long as you
| do _not_ (re)distribute the resulting binary.

The FSF disagree, or at least have in the past.  As I recall, the
argument went something like this: suppose you would like to
distribute a proprietary addition to a program covered by the GPL, but
instead of distributing them linked together, you distribute the parts
separately, along with directions for how to link them together.  The
end result is the same, and the FSF claimed that this was infringing.

Again, I refer you to the GPL and the GPL FAQ, and, if your questions
are still not answered, please ask for clarification from the GNU
project and ask them to update the FAQ.

jwe