octave much slower than matlab, debugging subfunctions

From: John Jones
Subject: octave much slower than matlab, debugging subfunctions
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:15:02 -0800 (PST)

2 things:

1. I've tried running my code in both octave and matlab and octave is
significantly slower, as much as 5 times, for some operations!  Are there
any tips for improving performance?

Complicated if statements are particularly slow. e.g.,

if J==1
    if E==0;
    else
        if pos<0
        elseif pos>0
        end
    end

elseif J==2
    if (E(1)==0)||(E(2)==0)
    else
        if pos<0
        elseif pos>0
         end
    end

Multiple while loops can take up to 3 x longer in Octave than in Matlab.

2. Debugging subfunctions

When debugging an m - file I have tried to set break points in a subfunction
inside the m file. This works ok but when you run the code octave will not
halt its calculation at these points. It works in Matlab. Does anyone know
how to do it in Octave?