textread: input conversion syntax

From: rhayman
Subject: textread: input conversion syntax
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:49:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I am trying to port some code from Matlab to Octave. One of the input
conversion specifiers in Matlab's textread has a way of "reading the longest
nonempty string containing characters that are not specified in the
brackets" using %[^...]

Is there a way of doing this with Octave's textread?

The file I am trying to read has a first column that is always a string but
the next column(s) on a line contain both strings and numbers (the number of
columns after the first one is variable).

Thanks in advance for any help