inferior-octave: weird history behavior

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: inferior-octave: weird history behavior
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:39:44 -0400

On 29-Oct-2007, G.. wrote:

| I wonder if the following behavior of octave inside emacs (inferior-octave)
| is as expected:
|
| Besides the usual commands, any completion attempt is saved to history. For
| example:
|
| ------------------------------
| octave:1> history 1
|  1055 history 1
|
| /// now I type "x" followed by a tab (completion) ///
|
| octave:2> history 3
|  1055 history 1
|
|  1056 completion_matches ("x");
|
|  1057 history 3
|
| octave:3>
|
| emacs: 22.1.1
| octave: 2.9.15

The inferior-octave mode sends the completion_matches command to the
Octave process to get a list of possible completions.  Although it
would be possbile to not insert these lines in the history list, how
would we distinguish calls made for this purpose and calls to
completion_matches that are typed by a user (presumably it would be
desirable to add those to the history list)?

jwe