Re: Fw: Neural network package

From: Surajit Das
Subject: Re: Fw: Neural network package
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:04:16 +0530

Thanks Michael / Søren / Swensen

Rgds

Surajit
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Swensen" <address@hidden>
To: "Surajit Das" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:29 PM

Surajit Das wrote:
Hello Good People,

I am a newbie trying to learn octave. For some of my work I need to use the neural network package. But I have been unable to install it on octave. I
have Redhat Entrerprise linux with pre-installed octave 2.1.57. I have
downloaded the file nnet-0.1.3.tar.gz from the source-forge website. Given
below is the command and error. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Surajit

[~/SOFTWARE/octave]> ls
neuralNetworkToolboxForOctaveUsersGuide-0.1.3.pdf  nnet-0.1.3.tar.gz
[~/SOFTWARE/octave]> octave
GNU Octave, version 2.1.57 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

octave:1> pkg install nnet-0.1.3.tar.gz
parse error:

 syntax error

pkg install nnet-0.1.3.tar.gz

              ^

octave:1>

Would it be possible for someone with write access the Octave-Forge
website to put a huge disclaimer on the front page that the packages in
the current downloadable form will only work with 2.9.15?  I guess if
people searched the help list or looked at the "Recent News" on the
front page before they asked a question they would find an answer, but
if there was a disclaimer in the orange "Installing packages" box on the
front page of Octave-Forge, then maybe
it would cut down on people trying the octave-forge packages with older
releases of Octave?

John Swensen