Re: compiling the bleeding-edge on OS X

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: compiling the bleeding-edge on OS X
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:24:05 +0200

Ben Abbott wrote:
> So now I'm confused. Specifically, what functionality is missing?

I'll try to answer

> configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack
> of functionality for sparse matrices.

UMFPACK is used for sparse LU factorization and solve.

> configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack
> of functionality for sparse matrices.

COLAMD stands for column approximate minimum degree permutation and is a
matrix permutation of sparse matrices that maintains sparsity during
factorization.

> configure: WARNING: CCOLAMD not found. This will result in some lack
> of functionality for sparse matrices.

constrained version of colamd, that is used with cholmod (though might
be used by umfpack in the future).

> configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD not found. This will result in some lack
> of functionality for sparse matrices.

Used for sparse cholesky factorization and solve.

> configure: WARNING: CXSparse not found. This will result in some lack
> of functionality for sparse matrices.

We use CXSparse for sparse QR solve, but equally for the dulmange
mendelsohn permutation (a sparse block triangular matrix permutation)
and for the sprank function.

BTW, I think debian has the suitsparse code in the ufsparse and
ufsparse-devel packages..

D.