Re: What limits the largest size of matrix?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: What limits the largest size of matrix?
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:00:19 -0400

On  5-Oct-2007, Michael Creel wrote:

| At one point in the past I tried to use --enable-64, but
| got poor results. If this is expected to work well with 2.9.14, I'd be happy
| to try it again.

If you compile with --enable-64, you will see the following message at
the end of the configure run:

configure: WARNING: You used the EXPERIMENTAL --enable-64 option.
configure: WARNING: Are you sure that is what you want to do?
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: You must ensure that the Fortran compiler generates
configure: WARNING: code with 8 byte signed INTEGER values, and that your
configure: WARNING: BLAS and LAPACK libraries are compiled to use 8 byte
configure: WARNING: signed integers for array indexing.

In addition to the library/compiler issues, there are a number of
other things that are not comletely implemented.  People who are
interested in seeing a fully functional 64-bit aware version of Octave
are encouraged to contribute.

jwe