Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:37:22 +0200

Anderson, Gregg T CIV USAF AFRL/MLPJ wrote:

> Hi,
> I work for the Air Force here at Wright-Patterson AFB Dayton, Ohio.
> The base is a big MatLAB/MathCAD/Mathematica user, as you can imagine.
> I recently discovered Octave and want to evaluate a copy on my
> WindowsXP machine. What are the latest compatility issues with,
> specifically MatLAB? I read the FAQ on Octave/MatLAB compatility.
> Apparently that hasn't been updated since Feb '98. Anything more
> recent? With a whole lot of happy MatLAB users around here will they
> have to do something special in order to "see" Octave files, programs,
> scripts? Can Octave users "see" MatLAB output? Can graphs generated by
> both be exchanged without software "encumberances?" If there are
> "barriers" between the two, that would kill getting Octave adopted on
> a widespread scale. Basically, would a MatLAB user have to do any more
> work to receive Octave output?
>
> Also, our base is switching over gradually to VISTA. Does Octave work
> with VISTA or is it too early yet?

Yes the FAQ is way out of date on the web page, but there has been for a
long while an updated version available in the CVS.. For whoever is
responsible for the website please update the faq from the 2.9.13 (or
2.9.14 when it is released) version of octave.... There is a 40k limit
on files sent to the list and so I won't send the FAQ to the list. I
uploaded a version based on the current CVS to my website at

http://www.dbateman.org/octave/Octave-FAQ.pdf

This contains a section explicitly about the issues of porting code to
matlab from octave or visa-versa...

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only