reading xls file

From: hassen62
Subject: reading xls file
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:58:14 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Octave users,

I have installed Octave 2.9.13 for windows. I put a file.xls intitled "kir" in (c:/programfiles/octave). this file contains two columns.the first headed with y, the other with x. I want to read kir.xls from "Octave propmt".I have written this line:

fid=fopen ("kir.xls,"r")

The problem, I obtained always a strictly positif integer but I can't read the two columns x and y. What can I do? Many thanks in advance