Re: Compiled Octave under Cygwin :-)

From: RadSurfer
Subject: Re: Compiled Octave under Cygwin :-)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:28:48 -0700 (PDT)

Tatsuro MATSUOKA-2 wrote:

> Sorry I do not answer your question.  If you want save your disk space,
> use 'make install-strip' instead of make
> install.  The oct files size by 'make install-strip' were reduced about
> 800kB for each files. Strip means delete
> debug information for the source file debuuger like the gdb.
>
> I would like to ask why you need to build the octave 2.1.73 from the
> source on cygwin.
>
> There is the octave 2.1.73 binary in math category of the cygwin ? Why did
> not you use it?
> T. Matsuoka
>
> --- RadSurfer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Using a 733 mhz computer running Cygwin on Windows
>> 2000, I was actually able to compile
> [[snip]]

I had just performed a fresh install of Cygwin, what better way to fully
test it than to compile
a package such as Octave?
I have discovered that the SETUP.EXE program for Cygwin does not always
display all
files and does not display all categories unless you select the proper ftp
or http server
from which to download from.
I was not able to directly obtain the Win32api using setup.exe, because it
simply would not
show me that category.
Likewise, under Math, I did not notice an Octave binary.

I do realize that it is possible to use a web browser and manually download
and install
these Cygwin packages.

It was a test!  A test to see how long Cygwin would take to compile a
respectable source
package... 3.5 hours roughly...   and just imagine all the things that I
learned.

//RadSurfer//