Re: Did I miss something about structures and function handles

From: kensmith
Subject: Re: Did I miss something about structures and function handles
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:03:06 -0700

I'm going to insert some more stuff within my text to try to make it
clearer since as M. Mrennwald pointed out I didn't make this point
clearly.

On Saturday 18 August 2007 12:36, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> On 18.08.2007, at 19:04, address@hidden wrote:
> > I can say:
> >
> > b.a=@(X)(disp(X-3))
b.X=52
b.Y=27

> > if I then say
> >
> > c = b

c.X=23
c.Y=45

> > c.a(7)
> >
> > I get 4 as expected.
> >
> > This looks to me like 90% of object oriented programming is in
> > octave. Is there some way that I can get at the other elements of
> > "b" and "c" from the member "a".
>
> Which 'other elements' of b and c do you mean? In your example above,
> I can see only one element (a) in b and c.

Lets use the example that the "b" and "c" variables represent different
points in space.  Lets further add a variable "d" that is a circle.

d=b;          # Make it a point first
d.R=3;      # Now give it a radius also.

Now lets imagine that the "a" function for a circle needs to be
different:

d.a = @(X)(disp(2+X));

We have now created a child type to the parent.

If we say:

  MyNewVariable = b;
  MyNewVariable..a(4);

or:

  MyNewVariable=d;
  MyNewVariable.a(4);

We will get the different answers as we should.  I want to be able to
get at the X and Y and perhaps the R of the variable in question in the
function "a".

I think I've made the idea clearer.  Did I?

--
address@hidden