How to launch Octave with its GUI ?

From: Julien R
Subject: How to launch Octave with its GUI ?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:04:04 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to Octave and installed its binary on Win32 (XP) with cygwin, i.e.
not a bundle executable.

I read lot of papers and posts about how installing cygwin and Octave on
Windows, but nothing about how to start it.

Of course, I can start Octave from the cygwin console, but I could not find
a way to start it with its graphical interface. Ideally, I would like to put
some shortcut on my desktop, pointing a ".bat" file to launch Octave.

To start GRASS (another GNU package), I use the batch file below. Is there
some equivalent for Octave?

@echo off
C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
set GRASS_AUTOSTART=1
bash --login -i -c startx

A more general problem is that I often cannot find the ".sh" configuration
scripts. I also wonder if the call to a ".sh" Linux script can be done from
within a Windows ".bat" file, for instance as parameter of some Linux
command.

Pardon my ignorance!

Thanks for your help.