Re: gnuplot versus matlab plot: a suggestion

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: gnuplot versus matlab plot: a suggestion
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:56:56 +0200

Matthias Brennwald skrev:
How about this: in addition to the 'standard' Matlab variables in a figure handle, add a 'hook' containing the name of a files that contains some user-specified gnuplot commands. Normally, this hook would be empty, and nothing would be changed from the normal behaviour. If the hooks are not empty, Octave would send the commands in these files to gnuplot after executing the 'normal' Octave plotting stuff, and then replot the firuge. This would allow to play all sorts of gnuplot tricks.

(Maybe the hook should not be gnuplot specific, but should be applicable to other plotting programs like graceplot, too?)
I'm not sure that the gnuplot backend will be used forever. I think that the Java work and octplot will be better alternatives in the future. So I don't think we should have anything gnuplot specific in octave, as it will be hard to maintain in the long run. So, I think a separate gnuplot package is the way to go. But that's just my opinion...

Søren