piping octave output to a file with perls system() command

From: Brian Curtis
Subject: piping octave output to a file with perls system() command
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:57:23 -0400

I am having a problem piping the output from octave to a file only using
Perl scripts.  I use the command
system(`octave --help > /tmp/octave2.out`);
in a Perl script and nothing happens.  I've taken
'octave --help > /tmp/octave2.out'
and used it in the terminal and it works fine, and I've also tried using
a different program in the same directory using a Perl script, for
example:
system(`mysql --help > /tmp/octave2.out`);
works perfectly fine.  I am not sure if this is an octave problem or a
Perl problem, but I am hoping this is a good place to start for answers.

Thanks,
~Brian C.