Re: open socket with listen() and still have command line available?

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: open socket with listen() and still have command line available?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 23:52:42 -0400

On May 23, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Brian W. wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about the listen(port,...) function as described by 'help
listen' or at
http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/main/ miscellaneous/doc/listen.txt?view=markup
.

Is it possible to open a socket via listen(port) and still have the standard
input stream connected to the octave process?

I have tried all combinations of 'fork'|'nofork' and 'debug'|'nodebug', but
whenever I have called listen(port), any commands typed into the octave
command line are ignored (actually the prompt is missing, too).

Normally I talk to the octave session directly from the TCL console.

Since the application forks on each connection there is no benefit from interacting with the listening octave.

You could probably program it so that multiple processes interact with the same session, including a simulated octave console, and have the illusion that the octave which started the listen is continuing, but I see no need to do that either.

- Paul