Re: ARPACK library causing problem while compiling Octave-2.9.10

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: ARPACK library causing problem while compiling Octave-2.9.10
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:24:42 +0200

Daniel Oberhoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I was preparing a 2.9.10 port for macports I ran into similar
> problems with arpack. The problem there was that the arpack port used
> different compiler directives/compilers for compiling the fortran
> files. The difference is in the way underscores are used. I have no
> overview which is used when, but I have seen __fun and _fun before,
> fun_ seems unusual to me.
>
> The compiler directives should be the same for all of your fortran
> libraries (arpack, blas, maybe also suitesparse?). And in your case
> they seem not to be.
>
> You could try to find out where those functions are usually defined
> (maybe lapack or blas) and then look at how the names are mangled
> inside that library (ldd on linux, otool on osx) and then compare to
> how they are mangled in arpack.
>
> It is a little weird in your case also though, because the undefined
> references seem to be inside arpack, so I wonder how you ever got
> arpack compiled. Or was it a binary install using rpms or debian
> packages? In that case the corresponding dependency manager is broken.
>
> Octave is usually happey when all fortran libs mangle names the same,
> detects the mangling and applies it everywhere, it just has to be
> consistent.

ARPACK shouldn't be in 2.9.10 at all.. It seems that I accidentally
added a test to the configure.in file for ARPACK. the ARPACK code should
only link against the arpack package from sourceforge. I'd suggest
removing the arpack test for the configure process...

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary