linestyle property

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: linestyle property
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:15:37 -0400

On 10-Apr-2007, Daniel Oberhoff wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I try to get different linestyles as in matlab, but the linestyle
| property doesnt do anything, is it not implemented yet, or is there
| something special top look out for?
|
| I plot like
|
| h=plot(x,y);
| set(h,'LineStyle',':');
|
| also tried "--" and "-.", and using directly like (plot(x,y,':'), all
| give me just an unbroken line.

Please report bugs to the address@hidden list.

Yes, linestyle is implemented, at least for some linestyles.  See the
function do_linestyle_command in scripts/plot/__go_draw_axes__.m.  The
":" linestyle translates to sending

  set style line 1 linecolor rgb "#0000ff" linetype 3 linewidth 0.500000
pointsize 1.000000;
  set style data lines;
  plot "-" using ($1):($2) title "" with lines linestyle 1;

to gnuplot (you can see precisely what happens on your system by doing

  gnuplot_binary ("tee debug.out | gnuplot")

before doing any plotting commands, then looking at what goes in the
"debug.out" file.

However, this does not seem to work for me.  I can't seem to make
gnuplot display anything but lines when it is doing color.  I'd
consider a patch from someone who knows how to make gnuplot do the
right thing here.

| Also set(h,'Color',c) where c is one of rgby clears the plot and
| resets to blue.

What do you mwan by "one of rgby clears"?  Do you mean a numeric RGB
specification like [1, 0, 0]?  Are you using gnuplot 4.2?  With
4.2, and a numeric RGB spec, it seems to work for me.

jwe