GPLv3 and Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: GPLv3 and Octave
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:35:42 -0400

On  3-Apr-2007, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:

| I'm not sure if I'm offtopic for this list (if so, I'll move the talk
| elsewhere), but I just glanced at Debian's copyright statement for
| Octave, and it says it's specifically GPL version 2. I understand
| version 3 is scheduled to come out this year.
|
| What will happen to Octave when GPLv3 comes out? Will it switch, or
| will everything stay as it is?

The maintainers list would probably be a better place for this
discussion.

But in any case, I don't know why you think it is GPL version 2 only.
I think every file in Octave that contains a copyright statement says

  GNU Octave is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
  Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any
  later version.

jwe