Re: Plots and Latex

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: Plots and Latex
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:55:35 -0700

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 10:39 +1300, Ana Rakonjac wrote:
> When generating plots in Matlab, there is a nice m-file called
> laprint.m that makes the graph nice for Latex, eg. changing the
> fonts to match the default Latex fonts. When I try using it in
> Octave, I get an error.
>
> I know the way Matlab does plots and the way Octave does plots
> are different, so I wouldn't really expect laprint.m to work.
> Is there a similar way to make plots nice for Latex in Octave?

I'm happy with a two-step method:

  Step 1: Save data to text file.

    tmp = [x', y'];
    save -text 'main.dat' tmp

  Step 2: Use Gnuplot to plot `main.dat'

    set term pslatex color solid rotate 8
    set ylabel 'Bit error rate'
    set xlabel '[t] {Average bit energy-to-noise density ratio, \
                     $\gamma$ (dB)}'
    set output "plot.tex"
    plot [ : ] [ : ] "main.dat" not w l lt 1 lw 1

In the LaTeX source, do a `\input {plot}'.

> Also, is there a way to get rid of the "Line 1" legend that is
> on plots by default?

  plot (x, y, ';;')

Steve