Re: use of mkoctfile with autoconf/automake

From: Eric Chassande-Mottin
Subject: Re: use of mkoctfile with autoconf/automake
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:36:52 +0100

hi,

Why not just use mkoctfile as a compiler?  It can compile only (use -c
to create only object files) and link objects into a shared/dynamic
library (.oct file).

this is what i try to do in the example attached here.
I substitute the CXX by mkoctfile in configure.ac :

[...]
dnl set C++ compiler to mkoctfile
CXX=$MKOCTFILE
AC_SUBST(CXX)
[...]

i run then into troubles because mkoctfile is not entirely compatible with
the g++ options set by autoconf/automake:

if mkoctfile-2.9.9 -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"foo\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"foo\"
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"0.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"foo\ 0.0\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"foo\" -DPACKAGE=\"foo\" -DVERSION=\"0.0\" -I.
-I.     -g -O2 -MT foo.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/foo.Tpo" -c -o foo.o
foo.cc; \
       then mv -f ".deps/foo.Tpo" ".deps/foo.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/foo.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
mkoctfile: unrecognized argument -O2

the option -O2 would be simple to remove here, but I'm not sure for the rest.
any solution here?

The configuration scripts in the packages themselves are perhaps a bit
more interesting as they look for features, like the presence of pcre in
main/strings..

in configure.base of main/strings, the compiler options are set the same way
it is in the configure.base of topdir as far as I understand.

concerning prce, i presume you are referring to this section?

301 AC_SUBST(HAVE_PCRE)
[...]
310 if test $HAVE_PCRE = yes ; then
311     OF_CHECK_LIB(pcre, pcre_compile, HAVE_PCRE=yes, HAVE_PCRE=no)
[...]

this doesn't change the way you compile DLDs, right?

eric.