is this a bug in my program or in Octave?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: is this a bug in my program or in Octave?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:09:43 +0100

Running a minimization using bfgsmin in octave-forge, I made an error that caused the objective function of the problem to be called with a missing argument. The result is that __bfgsmin.oct finds that the objective function value is missing, and it sets the value to DBL_MAX. After this, Octave (2.1.73) crashes. The sequence of messages is

error: `n' undefined near line 33 column 17
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 33, column 9
error: called from `moments1'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 51, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 27, column 2
error: called from `average_moments' in file `/home/michael/octave-forge/main/econometrics/inst/average_moments.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 24, column 4
error: called from `gmm_obj' in file `/home/michael/octave-forge/main/econometrics/inst/gmm_obj.m'
error: invalid conversion from real matrix to real scalar
warning: in /home/michael/octave-forge/main/optim/src/__bfgsmin.oct near line 130, column 40: warning: __bfgsmin_obj: objective function could not be evaluated - setting to DBL_MAX octave: /usr/include/octave-2.1.73/octave/dim-vector.h:105: int& dim_vector::dim_vector_rep::elem(int): Assertion `i >= 0 && i < ndims' failed.
panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
Aborted

What I'm not sure of is whether the problem is in __bfgsmin.cc or Octave.

Thanks, Michael