Re: Wikibook on octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Wikibook on octave
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:14:52 -0500

On 30-Jan-2007, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:

| and I have also added another comment on the discussion page :
|
| http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Talk:MATLAB_Programming

On this page, you say

  After discussion on the Octave-help mailing list, we considered that
  as Octave has been conceived as a MATLAB clone, most differences can
  be considered as bugs.

It is true that most differences are considered bugs, but sometimes we
think the bugs are in Matlab.

Also, and this is more important (to me, anyway): Octave was not
originally conceived as a Matlab clone (and I have never called it
that) but it turns out that most users seem to want Octave to be as
compatible as possible with Matlab, so they can run their programs
without having to change their code.  The result is that over the last
several years Octave has been moving more and more in the direction of
compatibility.  But I would still prefer it if people did not call
Octave a Matlab "clone".

Thanks,

jwe