Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Yet Another Plotting System for Octave
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:36:50 +0100

Alexander Barth wrote:
> Joe Koski wrote:
>> on 1/17/07 8:46 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden wrote:
>>
>>> Oops,
>>>
>>> I was a bit quick to say that yapso installed correctly:
>>>
>>> The install died with
>>>
>>> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
>>>
>>> but
>>>
>>> Saturn:~ marius$ nm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib | grep glBegin
>>> 00002d7c T ___indirect_glBegin
>>>          U _glBegin
>>>          U ___indirect_glBegin
>>>          U ___indirect_glBegin
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Marius
>>>
>> Marius,
>>
>> As far as I know the pkg install feature is broken on Macs with
>> octave-2.9.9. The untar.m routine was having Mac problems, and I offered to
>> be the Mac tester, but nobody responded. I was waiting for 2.9.10 before
>> trying again. You could probably work around the problem by manually using
>> mkoctfile and manually installing the package. YAPSO sounds very promising.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Thank you for sharing your experience with untar. What is very strange is
> that absolute file names
> seem to work. I suspect something wrong with canonicalize_file_name or chdir.
> I attached a modified
> untar file with some debugging information. Can you execute this modified
> untar like:
>
> untar('yapso-0.2.1.tar.gz','test-dir')
>
> and send us the output? Make sure that you use the attached version with
> "which untar".
>

> Thanks
> Alex

In 2.9.9 there is an assumption that GNU tar is used. This has been
removed in the CVS and it will work on MACs. However, you can't just
take pkg.m, but need a number of other changes and so either a full CVS
is recommended or wait for 2.9.10. This is the major reason I haven't
uploaded the packages of octave-forge to sourceforge or changed the
website over to the new octave-forge web site.

D.