Re: client/server operation of octave?

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: client/server operation of octave?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:07:31 -0500

On Jan 11, 2007, at 6:15 AM, address@hidden wrote:

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Paul Kienzle <address@hidden>
Gesendet: 10.01.07 17:38:23

Tino Scherrer <address@hidden> writes:

Dear all, for the integration of octave into a development
environment I'd need some means to control octave and receive it's
output. Ideally this would work by starting octave as sort of
server and connect the development tool as client through a socket
connection. Is such a mode available for octave?

soctcl on octave-forge provides a server interface to octave.

It didn't occur to me to feed it through the read-eval-print loop since
I wasn't trying to write an IDE, but it might be a place for you to
start.

- Paul

soctcl provides an octave function that lets you evaluate octave expressions by external programs through a socket, do I understand this correctly?

That is correct.

One of the most important features that I need in an IDE is debug functionality including that I can easily browse to the exact error location of any error message (for example octave output is something like "error in line 20 of file test.m", I click on this message and the editor opens test.m and scrolls to line 20). Is this possible using soctcl? I guess that error messages still appear in the initial octave output, so that the connected external program has no means of interpreting them.

I make no attempt to capture the error.  Instead I do the equivalent of

  feval("eval","octave expression","senderror(lasterr);");

You can't introspect on the call stack in Octave, though on break you can find the current file/function/line. This isn't supported in the listen() code.

Besides, is the described link-errors-to-line-in-source-file possible with emacs' inferior-octave mode?

It would be easy enough to expose the current file/function/line to the interpreter.

- Paul