bizarre plotting behavior

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: bizarre plotting behavior
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:33:12 -0800

Hello all -

I have noticed some rather bizarre behavior when I try to plot multiple plots in a subplot window. As an example:

subplot(211);
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold on
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold off
subplot(212);
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold on
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold off

The first time I run something like this it works fine: two subplot windows, each with two data vectors plotted. What gets weird is when I try to run it again:

oneplot();
clf;
subplot(211);
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold on
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold off
subplot(212);
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold on
plot(rand(1, 100));
hold off

The second time (and all subsequent times) the upper subplot window plots the first data vector, then clears and plots only the second data vector, despite my command to hold the first plot. The lower subplot window still works fine with both data vectors plotted. All additional plot windows that I open do the same thing, keeping only the second data vector in the upper window. Nothing I can think of to do fixes this except exiting and then re-entering Octave.

Has anyone else seen something like this? I am using 2.9.6 on kubuntu breezy with gnuplot 4.0.

Thanks.

-Ron