Re: octave-forge newby install question

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: octave-forge newby install question
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:44:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, the_verge wrote:

Or, as an alternative, is there a way to have both octave 2.1 and octave 2.9 installed, and have octave-forge work for both of them? My linux distribution (MEPIS) has access to Ubuntu repositories, which have octave 2.1, octave 2.9.6, and octave-forge 2006.3.17-2 available. However, octave-forge is only linked to octave2.1, (as a dependency) so when I launch octave2.9, I don't have the octave-forge functionality.

If I just go ahead and install octave2.9, octave2.1, and octave-forge, is there something simple I can do (in my .octaverc file perhaps) so that when I sart octave2.9, I get the full octave-forge functionality?

There are differences between 2.9 and 2.1 where many functions from octave-forge have been merged into 2.9, and so the same copy of octave-forge cannot be used for 2.1 and 2.9. If your distribution does not come with a version of octave-forge that works with 2.9, you will need to make it yourself-- the version that works with 2.1 will not work (and will probably cause problems).

Bill

--
1-800-578-7453