Re: OpenMPI vs. Octave 2.9.x

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: OpenMPI vs. Octave 2.9.x
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:47:03 -0400

On Oct 9, 2006, at 5:26 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On  9-Oct-2006, Tom Holroyd wrote:

| > Just as a suggestion, a piece of code that would make MPITB maintenance
| > a kid's game would be a routine for "serializing" Octave datatypes.
|
| I've been looking at this a bit, and most of the code is already
| there, in the "load/save" sections.
|
| I'm also very interested in this ...
|
| The idea is to be able to send an arbitrary Octave object over a
| serial data link. The load/save code writes to a file but if it
| could be abstracted a bit to write to an arbitrary receiver ...

The core functions write to std::ostream& and read from std::istream&
objects, so if you can write the code you need using those stream
objects, the rest should already be done for you.

There are classes for wrapping sockets in an iostream
available on the internet (e.g., socket++ and skstream
turned up in a Google search).  I didn't find anything
similar for MPI (not that I looked very hard).  If
nothing else you could emulate a socket connection in
MPI and use the socket wrapper.

- Paul