Seagull / octave interface problem (Was Re: How can I compile the octave

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Seagull / octave interface problem (Was Re: How can I compile the octave)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:31:17 -0600

(This is hardly relevant to bug-octave mailing list; x-posting
to Octave Help list)

On 8/9/06, Wang, Wen Jie (Wen Jie) <address@hidden> wrote:
When I recall Octave by Seagull (Do you know Seagull? An open source test tool,
http://gull.sourceforge.net/doc/core.html ) for statistical report, there are
some errors, as follows:

[command    : ./computestat.ksh]
[input file : test.csv]
[output file: compute.csv]
[creating file test.csv.y]
[data 1731]
[command    : startoctave_stat.ksh]
GNU Octave, version 2.1.73 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).

error: load: failed to load matrix constant
error: load: trouble reading ascii file `test.csv.y'
error: load: reading file test.csv.y

By looking at "test.csv.y" file from your attachment it does not
look compatible to octave data format for matrix/vector.
Its type specified in preamble as "type: matrix" yet it
contains both strings and numbers.

Not directly relevant to this problem, but looking at startoctave_plot.ksh
I have noticed:

<<<<

xlabel("${X_LABEL}");
ylabel("${Y_LABEL}");
grid on;
gset term png;
gset output "${FILE_OUT}";

gset xdata time;
gset format x "%d %H:%M:%S";
gset timefmt "%d %H:%M:%S";
gset xtics rotate;
gplot ${PLOT_CMD};

These are all really old (even ancient) and deprecated commands.
In particular "gplot" has completely changed its meaning...
I wonder if writers of Seagull are using octave version 2.0.x
that (somewhat deceiving) labeled on www.octave.org as "stable."
In reality it is just ancient and obsolete. All new development
should be done with 2.9.x branch.

In any case those problems seem to be with seagull software
and the inquire should be send appropriately...

Sincerely,

Dmitri.