Re: Octave under fedora 5

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave under fedora 5
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:27:01 -0500

Nam-Ky Nguyen wrote:

I got the following message when I invoke octave:

address@hidden ~]$ octave
octave: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.0: cannot

Please let me know how to fix the problem.

Where did you get the version of octave you installed? Octave is available from Fedora Extras, but the Fedora version requires libgfortran.so.1, which means that you somehow installed an old version that was not compiled for Fedora Core 5, and managed to install it without installing libgfortran. I would recommend that you uninstall whatever you have on your system, and install the official Fedora package, which can be installed by running the command "yum install octave" as root. It will download octave and all of the necessary dependencies and install them for you.

Quentin