Re: error on mkoctfile

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: error on mkoctfile
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:23:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- Arsenio Cesista wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to Octave.  I have installed GNU Octave
> 2.1.73 on Windows XP Pro.  I am trying to compile the
> hello.cc example using the mkoctfile function but kept
> getting a syntax error message.  What do I have to do
> to make this work?
>
> Regards,
> Arsenio Cesista

What you must first do is include enough information in your question to allow
a preliminary diagnosis of the problem.  Simply saying that you get a syntax
error message is not enough.  Please show the more complete text of the error
message.

Also, please provide more information on your octave installation.  Is it
through cygwin?  If so, you must use the older gcc 3.3.3 compiler, and not the
gcc 3.4.x compiler.  This is a known issue, documented multiple times on the
mailing list.

So, although I mentioned that the first thing is to include more information,
the zero'th thing is to search the mailing list for problems related to
mkoctfile on windows.  You will find pertinent information - use it.

Also, as regards cygwin, if you are using it, find and read the README file
associated with octave.  You don't know where it is?  Read the cygwin
documentation.  Every installed package has a cygwin-specific README file in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin.

James R. Phillips
cygwin octave maintainer