Re: ["Can I ", sprintf ("make this code work?\n")]

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: ["Can I ", sprintf ("make this code work?\n")]
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 23:03:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 May 2006, William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno wrote:

I don't usually do that, but I see that most m-files in Octave is
written that way. It's not my style, and I didn't quite get used to it
initially, but I think it has a benefit that we can distinguish
between a function call and an array indexing just by looking at the
code:

myfunc (1, 2, 3) -> function call
myarray(1,2,3) -> getting an array element

I didn't like it at first either, but I have grown to like it for the same reasons.

Double spaces between sentences also bothers me (makes me feel
uneasy...), but it seems that a lot of other people does that...
(maybe because they are used to writing TeX?)

Apparently, the correct number of spaces is 1.5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop#Spacing_after_full_stop), but that doesn't quite work in normal typing, but it's trending toward 1. I'm personally in the 2 camp, but I think that 1.5 sounds better when possible, and since we use texinfo, I'm assuming that pdfs and other typeset texts made from the docs will do the Right Thing (TM) when they see two spaces after the period, so I think that should be kept in the documentation.

(Hopefully this won't cause a flame war.)

Bill

--
"Verbing weirds language."  -- Calvin and Hobbes