Re: Use gnuplot 4.0 with octave 2.1.73

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Use gnuplot 4.0 with octave 2.1.73
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:24:09 -0400

On 24-May-2006, Johan Ekh wrote:

| It works with both .gnuplotrc and .gnuplot.
| I use octave-2.1.71 on a SuSE 10.0 system.
| I've compiled and installed from sources using
| the standard,
|
|  ./configure
| make
| make install
|
| sequence. I did this to get the octave-forge package
| which I could not find on the SuSE mirrors. Should be
| there somewhere, shouldn't it?

I was asking what version of gnuplot do you have that reads
.gnuplotrc, not the version of Octave that you have.  The gnuplot
startup file is read by gnuplot, not Octave.

So what version of gnuplot are you using?  Who built the gnuplot
binary (did it come from a SuSE package)?  If so, then why did the
packager decide to redefine the name of the startup file (which as far
as I can tell from looking at the gnuplot sources is .gnuplot, not
.gnuplotrc)?

Are you sure that .gnuplot and .gnuplotrc are really separate files on
your system, or is one a link to the other?

jwe