Re: class() and MATLAB compatibility

From: Geordie McBain
Subject: Re: class() and MATLAB compatibility
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:57:08 +1000

> I would really like to see the user defined data types implemented in
> Octave, but I don't know almost anything about the implementation of
> Octave, so I would not dare to develop any patch on my own. However,
> it would be nice to help the maintainers in implementing this:
>
> - Remembering how the transitions to classes worked from C to C++, a
> first step could be to have structures available in Octave.

> [...]

Yes, I reckon structures are a stepping stone to objects; that's how
it's done in YASOS
(http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/scheme/oop/yasos/swob.txt
 ) too, for example.  (If only the language bequeathed Octave were as easy to
program in as Scheme!  YASOS, a pretty complete and eminently useable OO system
is only two pages of code.)

Anyway, the good news for you is Octave already has structures; check
out the chapter `Data structures' in the Octave manual.