Re: Google's "summer of code"

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Google's "summer of code"
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:53:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, John Swensen wrote:

Well, I went ahead and started a group action at fundable.org. We'll see if it works out. The company where a co-worker's wife works may be interested in donating to this effort. They are a small company (~10 people) who have found the cost of Matlab prohibitve in recent years and are in the process of switching to Octave. Anyone interested can see it at

https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/octave_handle_graphics

One goal of Octave is to not create bug-for-bug compatability with Matlab. Some work has already been done on defining a standard for the front-end representation of Object Graphics that should allow compatability with matlab's representation while allowing a more intuitive interface: http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?ObjectGraphics

From this front-end standard, we are wanting to allow multiple backends
that can conform to this standard (perhaps with their own annotations).

The goal is to have a better system while keeping compatibility in mind.

Bill

--
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."