Re: chol?

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: chol?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:54:59 -0500

Andy,

From all indications this problem was introduced with octave 2.1.73. When 2.1.73 first came out I spent a week trying to build it on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.x. I used several combinations of C and FORTRAN compilers. I never could get a working octave-forge to build against octave 2.1.73 because of the dynamic load library problem. I have since downgraded back to octave 2.1.72 and a version of octave-forge 2006.03.17 that had been built against it.

On Apr 16, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Andy Pugh wrote:

On 4/15/06, Vic Norton <address@hidden> wrote:

After waiting for a while I get
   panic: Bus error -- stopping myself...
   attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
   save to `octave-core' complete
   Bus error
   vic$

I vaguely recall the same problem myself. I say vaguely as I can't
even remember which platform I was running on, let alone which
version.
Also, it wasn't with chol, it was with an m-file I had written myself.

After that background, it turned out that an m-file was missing it's
'function' keyword. So the first thing it did was try to invoke
itself.

I have just tried that in 2.1.71 on OSX 10.4.6 and the behavior is
little more conventional.

Is it possible that one of the functions called by chol, or chol
itself, has been altered in this way? I think I had done it to check
the behaviour of a function (ie so I could see the internal variables
at the command line) and messed up returning it to normal.

This is all rather vague recollection from 18 months or more ago, though.

--
atp

Marius

--

Marius Schamschula                               Webmaster

        The Huntsville Macintosh Users Group

                    www.hmug.org

webmaster at hmug dot org    marius at schamschula dot com