splot and 6-part data

From: Donald J Bindner
Subject: splot and 6-part data
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:07:45 -0600

I'm writing an m-file to provide 3D vector field plots.  I have
it working in a fashion than I am happy with except for one
aspect.  I am writing my vector data to a temporary file created
with mkstemp() and then using __gnuplot_raw__ to do the splot.

For example, to draw the <1,1,1> vector with base at the point
(0,0,0) and the <2,3,4> vector with base at (5,5,5), I write
lines into a file:

oct-123456.tmp:
0 0 0 1 1 1
5 5 5 2 3 4

Then to plot I use:
__gnuplot_raw__ "splot \"oct-123456.tmp\" title \"\" with vectors

I'd prefer a solution that works somehow within the usual
graphing system, rather than making an end-run around it.

Unfortunately, the natural thing to try doesn't work:

 octave:1> M = [ 0 0 0 1 1 1; 5 5 5 2 3 4];
 octave:2> __gnuplot_splot__ M w v t ""
 gnuplot> sp '/tmp/oct-pSVzJJ' u 1 t "" w vector
                                               ^
          line 0: no functions or data to plot

Don

--