Re: passing functions handles to functions

From: Christophe Prud'homme
Subject: Re: passing functions handles to functions
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:17:24 +0100

[ Wednesday 08 March 2006 16:49 John W. Eaton ]
| On  8-Mar-2006, Christophe Prud'homme wrote:
| | is there a general rule in octave regarding passing function handles  ?
|
| No, they should work in all cases where function handles would work in
| Matlab, but there are some gaps in the implementation of all these
| features.
|
| | like you can pass only functions handles of functions defined using
| | 'function' ?
| | or does it depend on the function using the function handle like fzero ?
| | or am I missing something ?
|
| Probably only that just because Octave behaves in a certain way now
| does not mean that it is intended to be that way.  Sometimes there are
| bugs or missing features that people would like to have fixed.
| Sometimes the only reason the problems are not fixed yet is because no
| one has had the time or motivation to do the necessary work.  It's not
| as though we have an army of programmers we can throw at all these
| problems.  Nearly everyone working on Octave is a volunteer, and we
| could use more help.

thank you for your answer!
I didnot mean my email to be critical. As I said in a previous email we are
actually trying to write a new edition of a book on "scientific computing in
Matlab " for both matlab and octave and of course we must notify the reader
where there are some differences between the two implementations.

For our numerical analysis courses @ epfl, we are pushing octave as a
replacement for matlab and we are updating our courses, exercises and book
for the next academic year(september/october). Regarding the code samples in
the book I believe that they are freely available on one of the authors
website. Using Octave "officially" (read courses) in our school will
hopefully bring more people on this project. At least that's what we are
trying to do.

Best regards
C.
--